Top 4 Most Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Where God Could Exist

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home

 - Joan Osborne

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Oscar Wilde (Lady Windermere's Fan)

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? - Psalm 139:7 (NIV)

We spend a lot of our earthly time debating on whether God exists or not.  We tend to make a big deal about the possibilities of God being the Almighty or just some "supreme being." The truth of the matter is that we just cannot keep debating what natural occurrences make obvious.  God does exist.

Where?

If your only notion of God's existence is in heaven, then you are gravely mistaken.  You may also want to check your thoughts on how you view God.  You do understand that Jesus said it this way: "God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:24, ESV).  We have to see God as a spiritual being who occupies any and all spaces possible.

Psalm 139 tells us that we need to be mindful of our feeble efforts to flee God's presence.  He's all over, no matter where we go.  He's here and there.  Let it be understood that we may not fully understand everything about God, but do understand enough to know that His omnipresence means that He is just as real in your life as He is in mine.  He isn't any less present during your hard times just because i got my prayers in earlier than you.  He can still show up for the both of us.


Psalm 139
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
1Lord, you have searched me
and you know me.
2You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O Lord.
5You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
7Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths,a you are there.
9If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
-Psalm 139:1-10 (NIV)

No comments:

 
Amen Me!