Top 4 Most Popular Posts

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Scriptural Self-Talk

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.- Psalm 42:11 (ESV)
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation- Psalm 42:5 (ESV)
I talk to myself. I have done so for years. Oftentimes, I even talk out loud to myself. It drives my wife and kids crazy. I find myself talking to myself more often when I am troubled or disturbed. I am just trying to sort out my thoughts it seems. But I am talking to myself...
Look at these two Psalms. The writer is speaking to his "soul." In other words, he is speaking to who else but himself. If you ever want to ride an emotional roller coaster, get on board Psalms as your daily devotion. Somewhere between sharing about the man who delights in the Law and the praise of the Lord through thanksgiving, this repetitive verse emerges in two back-to-back Psalms full of self-talk. That's what the motivational psychologists and feel-good pundits and propagandists call talking to yourself these days.
Feel free to exercise your freedom of speech. Speak out loud and speak loudly. Use your voice to get yourself back on track. The psalmist did so. He used this expression of self to get back in focus. His focus was to be centered on the Lord, His Savior. Regain your focus. Talk it up and talk it out.
I see the value of talking to myself. I see that it helps me sort some things out without losing it entirely. I think I am going to keep talking to myself, even if it drives the rest of the house crazy from time to time.

No comments:

 
Amen Me!