Top 4 Most Popular Posts

Thursday, October 28, 2010

From Eden to Egypt- Day 1



The ESV Study Bible


I am captivated every single time I read it.

I crack open my Bible and thumb through cheese-cloth thin pages that crinkle like crisp dollar bills as I pass over the preliminary pages.  I bypass the pages that tell of the inerrant and infallibe of God's Word handed down from heaven by His Holy Spirit that allowed power to work through divinely-inspired men that led to the Council of Nicea and other gatherings of rulers and rule-makers alike that led to the creation and compilation of the Bible as we know it today. 

That's when the words hit me.

In the beginning. . .

They seem to linger in mid-air somewhere just above my grasp.  They don't drift or stray.  They just hang there in some solitary space perfectly fit to between understanding and faith.  They are wedged between belief and some alternative instinct that leads me to desire to fully understand something by laying out as much as evidence and facts as possible to arrive at a solution.

In the beginning. . .

Was that in the beginning as far as I can remember? Or, are you talking about in the beginning in reference to some time even prior to Moses' being born in the midst of a cruel regime of Egyptian bondage or Noah even entertained the Lord's leading of building an ark?

In the beginning. . .

No matter how you look at it, "In the beginning" works for Genesis since it means "origin."  It is the story of creation.  The family line of Adam stems from the beginning. The animal kingdom initiates in the beginning.  Everything comes out of the creation, which marks our very beginning.

Awe seems to sink into my members as I settle in for the ride of a lifetime.  I have restarted with Genesis again as many times before.  As I restart reading God's Word again, I restart from the same famed verse and very simple prepositional phrase that says so much in three little words.

In the beginning. . .


*From Eden to Egypt is a series for Life Path Ministries by Rev. Bruce Jackson that chronicles a daily study and reading of the Book of Genesis and The Genesis Record by Henry M. Morris.

No comments:

 
Amen Me!